Thursday 24 March 2011

Guilty Pleasures...

I wrote this a while ago...last year actually, a random story about characters that don't exist....




“Funlola, I don’t think you should go”.kikelomo’ my bestfriend of thirteen years  tirelessly ranted over and over again  while flicking through the channels on the tv..oh lawd! Are we really having this conversation again??I thought silently to myself. It’s been two weeks and five days and I had countlessly told her it was a harmless three day trip to London.....H.A.R.M.L.E.S.S!!!!

‘What do you hope to achieve by going, things are still going to be the way they were, so don’t get your hopes high lavie’.....She bluntly shouted.
I sighed deeply and placed the tee-shirt i had folded in my suitcase and in my most heart wrenching voice i calmly told her ‘Don’t you think i know that..as much as i’m in dire need of a miracle right now, I really want things to be different’

But yeah, whatever!

While she laid on my bed with the huge grin on her pretty face, I weakly smiled and remembered the first time  we met at that groupie party my friend Bode who had a massive crush on me invited me to fourteen years ago..It all happened during summer school popularly known back then as ‘lesson’, I remember leaning on the rail by my class corridor with my ear phones on blasting to  the sound of ‘TLC’s Scrubs’ on my sony walkman  fervently hoping not to be disturbed by bode  whom I had  carefully managed to avoid over the weekend after his ridiculous attempt of writing me a love letter  which he had placed in a red envelope with love stickers  and handed to me as  I was about getting into   the dark brown Peugeot 504 whose horn was loudly blaring...Uncle Bala(my father’s driver) ‘s idea of a perfect entrance.............Memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone lightly tapped me on the shoulders and I pretended like i didn’t feel anything..until the unwanted stranger removed the 
earphone on my left ear and i knew it had to be him , he was the only one bold enough to do that, his idea of Over Familiarity....

I turned sideways facing him and innocently smiled,........I really wanted to frown hoping he’ll get the message and leave me the hell alone but knowing him, he was relentless and had the patience of a newborn.

“I know you’ve been avoiding me”…..he mumbled 
“And why would i do that”.....I teasingly replied
“You know why but we’ll talk about that after lesson”....he quietly said not wanting to be overheard by those walking by on the corridor.
“Okay”...I said

Glancing at my swatch , i silently hoped he would do the right thing a normal teenager would do which was to walk away when he was clearly ignored  or better still I needed a distraction from anywhere but nothing happened and i could hear my watch ticking fast...should I walk away,  I mean, it’s not like he broke up with me or anything, so why was my palm sweaty..It definitely had to be the heat, it just had to be...

“Lola, are you coming as well”....Bukky  ‘my lesson friend’ as i like to call her screamed while heading toward my direction, lorddddddd, that girl had the voice of a roaring lion, loud and ready to devour...
“Coming where”.I annoyingly replied  as I stared at bode while he mouthed something which was obviously drowned by Bukky’s  loud voice.
“The party now, the one happening after lesson.I thought Bode told you” she said while poking bode in the shoulder....everyone knew she had more than a crush on bode but he seemed unaware apparently...
Shrugging off her hand from his shoulder, with a ‘why did you do that expression ‘ on his face .he turned and said ‘A couple of guys are having a party after lesson and please don’t say you wont come”...

“I can’t”..i bluntly said
Why?....he replied
“I just can’t, what would I tell my father’s driver when he comes to pick me”...I said ,silently thinking of a million ways why I should go..It won’t hurt  and i could bribe Uncle bala ...hmmmmmm

After much persuasion, I finally yielded  .And as we drove to the party, i felt a slight rush of adrenaline,.Do I look presentable.. So I was wearing my black hipsters and a light green flowery top and my ever faithful ‘jelly’ sandals...was that appropriate for a party????..
We’re here, see you guys inside’.....bode  happily said as  he  quickly jumped out of the car for fear of being recognised  by the group of guys standing in front of the black iron gate  which happened to be the entrance  to the party we were going to.....Boysss!!
“Ma pe o(Don’t be late)”....Uncle Bala  said and then drove off. 

As I turned towards the gate, I firmly held bukky’s  hand  as we walked towards the guys at the entrance..Nerve racking, I tell you.there was a lot of ‘hey girls, babes  and whistling here and then , Ignoring them  we walked straight ahead and became drowned by  the voice of Notorious B.I.G  which was blaring loud from the massive speakers  placed by the sliding doors..It was a packed house, bode was no where to be found....Perfect!!! just when i needed  to cling to him  and pretend we were an item ...Bukky had lightly extricated her hands from mine, leaving me to myself......

To be continued...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the way it is going..
Please come and update soon!

Anonymous said...

niceee and funny, llaffing @loud and ready to devour!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.. this is brilliant Fani... really lovely. I am enjoying *now scrolling up*