Saturday 9 April 2011

Cupids Got a Gun...PT. 2





"Hey babe"...dokun said...
He sounded really tired, I guess the whole  deadline shiznit at work was getting to him...Oh yes!!..Dokun is actually my bestfriend...most people find it so hard to believe...well, let's just say because he is way older than me...Okay!! Okay!!..seven years actually...

I was 15, he was 22 when we  met..I was just leaving the cybercafe with tears streaming down my face,clutching the paper I had in my hand tightly...it was bad news!!..I had just checked my Jamb result and yes I didn't make the cut off mark required..I had flunked terribly...Aunty bolu and her husband won't be pleased at all...After 4 months of grueling study labor,Uncle boye (aunty bolu's hubby)had  even enrolled me at the 'Jamb Lesson' not far from the house...yet I had been a huge disappointment..

'Ouch, ahan can't you watch where you are going"...I screamed furiously at the arrogant young man in front of me..
"I'm sorry"..He said with so much disdain.
"You people won't watch where you are going, Please I'm not even in the mood today"..I shouted back at him,at this point  he looked at me disturbingly..
He probably thought I had gone mental, well..who wouldn't??...Seye(aunty bolu's son) passed jamb at a sitting! But not me...d one who had been rejected at a tender age of 3..I had slaved away, studied while others played yet I had failure staring right back at me in the face.

"Calm down now, why is your blood hot"...he irritatingly said
Why is my blood hot ehn? Why is blood hot abi"...I repeatedly said while handing him the white paper I'd been holding tightly in my hand...
And as he carefully perused the paper , I noticed the weariness in his eyes, he heaved a deep sigh , looked into my eyes and did the most beautiful thing anyone had done to me in a long while...
Yes...He gave me a hug, patted my back as the tears flooded out and told me everything was going to be alright...

And as we sat across each other at the deserted end of the slightly empty 'Mr Biggs' eatery..whoever had passed, would have probably thought we were lovers..they would have called it puppy love..But oblivious to our sorrounding, I poured out my heart to him and he listened...He had been rushing out of the 'Mate' supermaket beside the cybercafe when he bumped into me..He could have ignored/gone his way but he stayed and he listened to everything I had to say...

From that moment onwards, I became best chums with Adedokun Taylor...He was the older brother I'd always yearned for, the friend I confided in and the family I longed for in my heart...Ohh, Uncle boye liked him instantly but he would always tease us just to see that flush in my face, I remember him saying "E sure pe ore nikan ni yi (are u guys sure u are just friends)....Aunty bolu on the other hand was a little bit withdrawn towards him, for some reason, she thought he had a hidden agenda...Her favourite oneliner to us " E ma deceive ara yin  , se gbo (Both of you should be deceiving yourself)...She just never understood dokun and I...we were family!!!

Crazy as it seems, it's been eleven mental years and I remain thankful to God for sending him my way that fateful day..I remember how I'd flaunt him around my female friends, d jealousy in their eyes..PRICELESS!!!

As I cradled the phone against my ear, I heaved a deep sigh, there was so much I wanted to tell him, it had been three years of long distance friendship, we had stayed strong and I couldn't wait to meet Ibidun,the' supposed' woman of his dreams, he had been gushing on and on  about her which was really strange..over the years, dokun had always been the private one when the matter of relationship stemmed up..yay!! Yay!! ...

"Jade"....dokun crisply said
"Yup"..I replied
" U're still coming home on the 19th"....he said in that deep voice I'd gotten used to...Oh my!! My bestie had grown so much...
"Yesss, Can't wait to see u beau"...I said excitedly...
"Same here ,I'm goin to spoil you silly"...he replied..

"Yeah yeah, so you keep saying"...i said teasingly...
He seemed somewhat distracted, I could hear him mumbling words to the distracting background voice..hmmmm!!!


"Pumpkin, i'll call you over the weekend okay"...he  said briskly
"Okay beau..love you loads"..I responded
"Love you too, Bye"...he said and hung up.
"Bye"..I replied between my teeth to the already dead  phone line...


To be continued..





4 comments:

Valerie Black said...

love ur stories. babe! when will u b writing a book?

Unknown said...

Err, do u mind updating sometime soon? In this life time maybe? That would be really nice

Fani.Edas said...

@valerie black...thx beau...hmm, i'll think about it
@andiva...I don hear naaaa...x

Anonymous said...

@Valerie Black Inform her....
i'm glad i waited till parts were posted. now i can read without interruption.